Posted By CotoBlogzz 10-28-2010 updated 2/26/2016 to correct Task Force link.
Santa Ana, CA - The Orange County DUI Task Force known as the "Avoid the 38," will be out in force this weekend. The "Avoid the 38" is a Multi-Agency DUI Task Force established by local and state police in response to the staggering deaths of previous years caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol and or drugs.
Roving DUI Saturation Patrols are planned this weekend in the cities of Costa Mesa, Cypress, Garden Grove, Irvine and La Palma as well as the Sheriff’s South Contract Cities as part of the Task Force’s ongoing efforts to lower impaired driving. The DUI Patrols will be working Friday, October 29 through Sunday, October 31.
The Task Force reminds the public that nighttime is an especially dangerous time to be on the road, but Halloween weekend is often one of the deadliest times of the year for impaired drivers. According to the CHP’s Statewide Integrated Traffic Reporting System, 16 individuals died and 417 were injured on Halloween in Alcohol Involved Collisions during the past five years.
The Avoid 38 Task Force (http://www.stopimpaireddriving.com) recommends:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911
- Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. If you know someone who is about to
- drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to
- where they are going safely
We will add our two cents to the Task Force recommendations: Whether drinking or not, do not text while flying, otherwise what you see below is highly likely!
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.