Monday, November 22, 2021

For the Birds - Episode Seven - The Great Get Away!

 

Camas, WA:   After three weeks or so since Marshmallow joined Sunny, they seem to be getting along just fine.  Marshmallow still looks a little clumsy and Sunny keeps herself busy with the pine bark or simply goofing off 


I was able to capture Sunny and Marshmallow's Last Moments together



The weather was good. although a little windy for a  cage deep cleaning.  Prior to Ocean going to Bird heaven, I would take out their water, food, mirrors and perches inside the house, before taking the cage outside - as a precaution.  As they got more comfortable, I would leave the cage's door open as I was doing the cleaning but they never even got close. 

I had posted this meme earlier today - turned out to be an omen


I saw Marshmallow a little more vulnerable and more excitable,  so I was more careful. Even after taking precautions, she flew out of the cage and landed on the window drapes.  I was quickly able to get her back in the cage, unharmed using a handy net. 



Caught a fuzzy selfie after Marshmallows first attempt to flee


Having taken care of the perches, water & food, I took the cage outside for deep cleaning:  there's the bottom tray with paper lining.  Once that's finished, there's the bottom wire mesh tray that needs to come out. Because the bark platform sits on the wire mesh, I need to open the gate so I can lift the platform.  For a second I though I should not clean it this time, but I dif. 

As I pulled the wire mesh and not wanting to take any chances, I used the net to cover the gate as I lifted the platform.  Within a microsecond, Marshmallow made a mad dash toward a miniscule opening between the net and the gate. She flew away like rocket straight up perhaps 500 ft in the air.  Clearly the clumsy looking parakeet was not mean to be careful 


While it was clear that Ocean Blue's sudden death  impacted Sunny, Marshmallows departure did not make a big difference.  It is as if Sunny knew Marshmallow was not going to stay long.  I would not be surprised is Marshmallow told Sunny she was planning to flee and tried to recruit Sunny! 

Bon voyage Marshmallow Cream.




Our Trilogy:  Angel to the left came to visit it he was dying.  Top right, Ocean Blue, who suffered a sudden death and Marshmallow who was not born free, albeit in a cage.


No comments: