Saturday, April 09, 2011

Scammed in Laguna Woods Village

Posted By CotoBlogzz



Laguna Woods Village, CA -It was around 6:30 PM or 7, when I finished grocery shopping at Stater Brothers.  I pulled out of the parking lot heading towards El Toro (exit by Starbucks).  I waited until traffic was clear for me to make a right turn.  As I started to turn, I heard a thud on my hood.  I stopped immediately.  A man had hit my hood with both arms and then I saw him throw himself down on the ground.  He was carrying a skateboard under one arm.
 
I got out of the car and asked if he was all right.  I offered to take him to emergency and he refused.     He then asked me if I could give him $20.  I said I don't have $20.  All I had was $5 change from my groceries.  I don't carry a lot of cash around.  Then I saw a man on the right side waving for me not to give him anything.  I knew it was a scam.  The supposedly harmed man then asked for $10.  I said I don't have $10, all I have is a $5.  He said $5 will do.  So I gave him the $5 to get him out of my hair.  He then said he wouldn't pursue this matter any further and he took off in the direction of Starbucks, skateboard under his arm.
 
I got home put my groceries away, then about 10 or 15 minutes later, my doorbell rang.  It was a sheriff deputy.  He said "we're you at Stater Brothers tonight?"  I said yes, thinking maybe I'm in trouble.  He said do you think you might have been a victim of a scam?  I said yes.  I asked him how he knew all this.  He said somebody took my license plate numbers and called them.  Must have been the man who was telling me not to give that guy any money.  I told him the story.  He said that guy never made it to Starbucks, "he saw me and took off running". 
 
The sheriff deputy thought it was a kid.  But it was not.  The guy had gray hair, and I believe he was wearing a hat.  But he did have gray hair, I remember that much.  I'm not good at remembering descriptions of people and what they're wearing.
 
Thought you'd all like to know and be on the lookout.  Maybe tell your friends and neighbors also.
 
Lou Skogen





If you would like to make a comment about a specific news article, editorial or commentary and have it considered for publication in the CotoBuzz Journal as a Letter, Photo or Video Clip  to the Editor, please send it to buzz@cotobuzz.com --- or mail to Letters to the Editor, c/o CotoBuzz, P,O. Box 154, Trabuco Canyon, CA 92678

Letters should be brief, and may be edited 
for clarity and length. All material become the property of CotoBuzz Journal  and may be republished in any format. Please include your full name, mailing address and daytime phone number (your number will not be published).

No comments: