Thursday, April 14, 2011

LAPD deputy Convicted of Assault with firearm

Posted By CotoBlogzz

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA  - Sean Paul Delacerda, a  deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (LASD) was convicted today of assaulting an ex-girlfriend with a firearm after accusing her of cheating and violently holding her against her will at gunpoint in her apartment, according to the Orange County District Attorneys (OCDA) office  

Delacerda, 27, Fullerton,  a four-year veteran of LASD at the time of the crime, was found guilty by a jury of one felony count each of assault with a firearm, kidnapping, false imprisonment by violence, and one misdemeanor count of domestic violence battery. Delacerda faces a maximum sentence of 18 years in state prison at his sentencing June 3, 2011

On April 18, 2010, Delacerda broke into the home of his ex-girlfriend, Jane Doe, whom he had dated for two months, without the victim's permission. The victim was not home. When Jane Doe arrived home at approximately 4:00 p.m., the defendant asked where she had been and accused her  of cheating. He pulled out a firearm loaded with one bullet in the cylinder. Jane Doe became scared and tried to run to the front door, but Delacerda chased her, grabbed her by both arms, and kept her inside. He forced the victim to open her e-mail so that he could read them. 

While Delarcerda was reading the e-mails, Jane Doe again tried to run to the front door to escape. The defendant chased after her, tackled her to the ground, and climbed on top of her. He covered the victim's mouth as she screamed. Delarcerda took the firearm with one bullet, pointed it in his mouth, and pulled the trigger while still on top of the victim. The firearm clicked but did not fire. The defendant then pointed the firearm at Jane Doe.

After pointing his firearm at the victim, Delarcerda dragged Jane Doe to her bedroom and pushed her in a closet. He returned to her computer to continue reading her e-mails. While the defendant was distracted, Jane Doe was finally able to run outside and get into her car. 

Delacerda ran after the victim, tried to open her locked car door, and banged on her window. He jumped on the hood of her car as she reversed and chased after her as she drove away. Jane Doe called 911 from her car and the defendant was arrested shortly thereafter leaving the area of the victim's home.  

During the trial, Delacerda admitted breaking into the victim's home, loading one bullet into his firearm, and waiting 11 hours for Jane Doe to return. He denied any assault on the victim. 

Deputy District Attorney Sandra Nassar of the Family Protection Unit is prosecuting this case.

No comments: